Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Win tickets to see "Wicked" at the Orpheum May 25 - WINNERS CHOSEN  (Read 8229 times)
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »

We have four pairs of tickets to give away to “Wicked,” the untold stories of the witches of Oz, which is at the Orpheum Theater May 25 - June 12, thanks to Omaha Performing Arts. Winners will see the show at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 25.

Enter here by telling us your own untold story of a relationship in your life. Include a photo - use the button (second from the left in the lower row) above to do so.

Look for a slide show of those photos on momaha.com’s home page soon. We will choose the winners in a random drawing on April 18. Some of your entries could also appear in the World-Herald.

Official contest rules: http://video.omaha.com/contests/wicked-rules.html

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:51:37 PM by Veronica » Logged

Veronica Daehn is mom to Rye, 6, and Paige, 2. She is the editor of momaha.com.
PaulaJo1980

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

One of my dearest friends has been with me since my freshman year of college.  When I first met her, I saw one of the most confident and intimidating people I have ever met.  My initial instinct was to stay far away from her because at 18 years old, she was my exact opposite.  I met her almost 13 years ago and to this day, she continues to be a huge part of my life.  Her name is LaRia and is really one of the most giving, caring, friendly, and open people, I have ever met.  

LaRia is someone who my boys refer to as an Aunt and love and cherish her as much as I do.  She is someone who will be there for you in a heartbeat and ask nothing in return.  She's been there through every life changing moment and has supported me in all decisions I have made.  

I'm very lucky I didn't pay any attention to my first reactions to LaRia because I would have missed out on having an extremely special and endearing friend to call on.  I've never had a sister and I know that because of her, I can truly know what it means to have one, because that is what I consider LaRia to be.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:27:04 PM by PaulaJo1980 » Logged
michellekorb
Freshman Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »

My best guy friend is Noah!  He lived across the street from us when I moved to my neighborhood in Jersey when I was 12 years old.  He was my best friend instantly.  We rode our bikes to the beach together, went surfing, took the bus to school.  I remember our freshman year of highschool making plans to meet eachother outside of the lunch cafeteria so that we would have someone to sit with!  We were both so nervous.  I remember sitting in my VW Jetta with crank sunroof right before we took our SATs.....we talked about how we couldn't believe we were turning 18!  We were legally adults! 

I remember getting my first dog as an adult after college and I brought her home to visit.  Noah had just bought his first dog and we got them together for a playdate.  Years later, we both had sons and we got them together for a playdate........and now he's expecting his 2nd and my 2nd is two years old.  We continue to be best friends and have "playdates" witht the whole family when we go home to visit the parents......

Here we are Christmas 2001 when we were both home from college......

RNmomof4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

My best friend is Sara, we met in 6th grade when I went to live in Iowa with my dad. I only lived there for a year, but we fit together like family and formed a bond that has lasted almost 23 years now. I lived in several different places, and got in trouble a lot with my questionable lifestyle through my teens. Sara and her family always stayed in touch with me by phone or letter. I made it back to Iowa at 16 and all through my toughest times and then all the way to to my amazing life now , Sara always loved me and encouraged me to do my best. She has an intoxicating personality and a smile that could make the hardest of people fall in love with her! She is a musician and a teacher and has traveled the world. She has been living in Shanghai, China for the past 3 years.  Although, I have been able to see her during her yearly trips back to visit family, I am thrilled to have heard recently that she will be moving back to the States this summer!

Me and Sara

Myself, Sara and my daughter who is also very close with her "Aunt Sara"

SAHM for now but also an RN
4 kids: 14 year old girl and 3 boys ages 3, 1.5, and newborn
wilson10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »

I am very lucky to say that my closest friend also happens to be my baby sister!!! Being 10 years younger that I am we were not close when growing up but over the past 6 years we have became closer than anyone can be. Rarely does either one of us do anything alone we are always together and if we are not then we are talking on the phone. The two of us are very opposite each other but together we just fit. I Love her with all my heart and am so lucky not only that she is my sister but will always be my very best friend!!!

Also April18th happens to be her 21st Birthday this would be the best gift ever!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:50:41 PM by wilson10 » Logged
nikilouwho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »

I've been best friends with Michelle for 23 years, ever since we met in the 3rd grade!  We were quite a pair; she was the tom-boy and I was the priss.  She taught me how to climb a tree, and I taught her about make-up.  This June, she is moving to Arkansas to help her husband manage the family's farm.  It will be a tearful good-bye indeed.  Tickets to Wicked would be the perfect send off, and give us one last chance to do something together.

Michelle and I at my wedding.  She was my maid of honor.
chaoshappenz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

My best friend in the world is sarah--we grew up together from High school and have pretty much been inseparable.  Even now when we run into people from school, they make a joke about us still being together!!  And for as much as we joked about being cousins, she married one of mine so now we are for the most part family.  She is the lenient one and I am zero tolerance.  we are pretty much the yin and yang of friends.  we keep each other in check and everyone that knows us can tell you that.  Even after having 2 kids of my own, she is always just as willing as before to come hang out and entertain them with me.  She is having her first child in June and i cannot wait to return all of the favors she has given me!  We have always talked about going to Wicked, but never have time...this would be the best, and probably only opportunity we get!!
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »

This is awesome.

Love the stories and the photos!

Keep 'em coming!

Jacksmom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

My best friend is my mom. I know that sounds corny but she really is. She was a single mom from the time I was 5 and did everything she could to make sure i had what i needed and most of all laughter. She sings in aisles, dances to silly songs with my son and even plays on the slides at the park.
We talk everyday some days the conversation is longer than others but we always end our talks with I love you all the way to heaven back and everywhere, i have been saying it since i was very little.
Now with my son who is 3 she is the amazing Nana that he loves so much. I was told it would be difficult for me to have kids due to a medical condition but when i amazingly got pregnant from day 1 she was excited.
They have so much fun together and he spends every saturday with her. They now have there own saying like ours of I love you up, down, and all around and of course there is a dance that goes with it.
She LOVES the wizard of oz and i cant afford to get her anything great for mothers day like she deserves, this would really the fun we both need in our lives and to do together.

chaoshappenz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »

My friend Sarah is the best ever- while I'm stubborn she is leanient.  We have been friends for almost 20 years and counting.  She has helped me and stood by me even when i wasn't the greatest friend.  We have stood strong through good times and bad, boyfriends, husbands, other friends.  She has been by my side through deaths, divorce, births and everything else I need a constant for.  We are yin and Yang-- Its funny this contest is posted, because we have been talking about seeing this for years, but never had a chance.  There has always been a work schedule conflict, or we couldn't afford it--this would be yet another great memory for us to share!!!
(picture will not load)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:25:56 PM by chaoshappenz » Logged
BrycesMomma

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »

My untold relationship is with my best friend Sara.  I met her back at work in 2002 when I was asked to train her.  From then on we became very good friends.  We have had our ups and downs.  There was a time that we did not speak for almost a year and we ran into each other at Funny Bone and started hanging out again.  It was as though we did not miss that year.  I know that I can go to her anytime I need something and she can do the same.  For my birthday she brought me flowers, a balloon bouquet and a cake.  We know we can depend on each other!

The picture is from my 30th bday a few weeks ago!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:49:53 PM by BrycesMomma » Logged

Angela, full time working Momma of Bryce (5)
smcoryell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »

My untold story is of me and my good friend Tiff.  Tiffanie and I were good friends back in highschool in the 90's. After graduation we lost touch, like many friends do. Then in 2007 I was introduced to this little thing called facebook. One of the first friend requests I got was from my old friend. Soon after we got together to catch up. We discovered that we were both moms of 2 boys. And we both have a child with autism. Since then we have become even better friends then we were in highschool. Our kids are even friends now. We have done the Autism Puzzle Walk together and we try and have movie night with the kids as much as we can. Unfortunately, we now have something else in common. We are both single moms. Tiff is currently going through a divorce. Anyway, I would really like to be able to do something for her since she is always doing things for me and I thought this would be perfect. I think we both could use a fun night out!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:18:59 PM by smcoryell » Logged
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »

IT changed a few things in the forum just now, so it should be easier to upload photos. Please give it another try!

lisajodean

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

When I moved to Nebraska in 5th grade, I was the saddest 11-year-old ever. As an ARMY brat, I was now starting at my sixth elementary school and my closest friend lived half a world away -- in Germany. I was entirely alone and I never thought I would ever have another friend.
Technically I think my family was middle class, but in our neighborhood we were poor. I only had three pairs of jeans and two pairs of shoes and nothing really fit right. I always looked funny. I was super tall and stuck out like a sore thumb. I was always getting picked on. I was smart, but not smart enough. I was shy and loud—always at the wrong times. I couldn’t play any of the sports very well, even though I looked like I should. I always seemed to be everyone’s disappointment.
It took a couple months before I found her—my best friend. We didn’t look alike. She was brunette with long braided hair, I was blonde with short hair. She wore glasses and was a foot shorter than me. I was thick and she was thin. She was really smart, and I was average. But the day I met her I knew we had at least one thing in common that would never change—our first name. After that there was just more and more that followed. We joined band, both playing the clarinet, we watched the same after school television, read the same books, took the same classes, liked and hated the same classmates.
We were completely inseparable friends from 5th to 9th grade. We did everything together: homework, movies, shopping, cleaning, video gaming, babysitting—we even read together. I would go to her house, sit in her basement with her for hours and we would read books. I practically lived in her house! I can still remember all the fun we had, just the two of us.
 That all changed sophomore year. We were high school students now and I got my first boyfriend. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I had ruined one of the greatest things I have ever had. Once I had a boyfriend, I did not have time anymore her. When I turned 16, I also started working—taking away even more time, which also started to turn into resentment because she didn’t have to work (her family always had money). By the time we graduated high school, I didn’t know anything about her anymore, and she didn’t know me. We had gone from being the most un-identical conjoined twins to complete strangers that barely said hello in the hallways. We even still had a class or two together and still never talked.
It wasn’t until after graduation I realized I ruined everything. I missed her even more when I went to college. Even now, 14 years after meeting her in elementary school, I often wish and wonder if I could go back and not lose my best friend over a boy (one that never worked out even). The experience did open my eyes to what true friendship is. To this day I have not had anther “best friend” because I didn’t ever want to disappoint anyone again (or be disappointed). I have many amazing friends in my life now and I try everyday to be the best friend I can to everyone I surround myself with (often at my expense).
Reading this, I realize I don’t do this story justice. But I can honestly say that my friendship with her was one relationship that affected who I was then and still does today. Today, we are “friends” but only in the Facebook world, but I still hope that someday we can be real friends again. Our friendship is the one “if I could go back I would” moment I have always wished for. If I win these tickets, she will be the first person I ask to join me so maybe we can catch up, and possibly give being friends another try.

Lisa JoDean
lisajodean@aol.com
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

Thanks, Lisa!

Keep the stories coming, ladies.

And we'd love to see photos if you can share.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: