Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dad's FB response to teen daughter's rant  (Read 1418 times)
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

Have you seen this? It seems to be going viral. I've heard about it on the radio and facebook. What do you think of the dad's response? I thought it was too extreme and doubt it will improve his relationship with his child. On the other hand, I can understand the frustration that comes from kids who constantly complain about doing their share around the house ... and my kids are nowhere near their teens yet!  Undecided
http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
Lisa Andrews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »

I watched this, and I was on-board UNTIL he got the gun out...not going for that!  Bad example.  Sounds like a spoiled kid, and I don't blame him for punishing her, but lose the gun, cigarettes, and lead by example.  I too would have cut off her internet access...but differently.     

Lisa Andrews
kathy j

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

I was with him right up to the point where he shot the laptop.  His reaction was disproportional to the infraction.
BrycesMomma

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:26:43 AM »

Did you see the follow up he wrote about all the media that has contacted him to do interviews?

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152

I applaud him for not taking it any further.

Angela, full time working Momma of Bryce (5)
Lisa Andrews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:41:02 AM »

Angela...His response was perfect!  I like this guy...though I still take issue with the gun thing. 

Lisa Andrews
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »

Angela, I agree, good for him for taking the high road on this by not going any further. And he makes valid parenting points about kids learning responsibility by earning the things they have.

I still think taking a gun to a laptop was too extreme ... if he's an IT guy -- couldn't he just strip the hard drive and donate it to a school or a community center or something like that? I think the same lesson would be learned, IMHO.

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
craignsara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »

I wish there were more parents like him.  Wink

I am not going to judge him on the gun thing. I am just going to applaud him for DOING something. Rather than giving in to his daughter's every whim. I believe he will teach her a valuable lesson and follow through.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:44:52 PM by craignsara » Logged

Sara, mommy to Callie (4) and Tanner (almost 2) and wife to Craig! www.satodd9281@blogspot.com
lozafina
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »

I agree with craignsara. I'm impressed that he not only punished her but set an example for other parents to watch and read what their kids are posting on social media sites. Thumbs up.

Mom to Lil Bob, 9, Alejandra, 4, and Gabriella, almost 2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: