Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Girl Dolls -- what age?  (Read 9158 times)
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

What is a good age to get your daughter an American Girl doll?
MomPoppins

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »

We got our daughter a My Twinn doll when she was 3 (well, actually, Santa brought it). She had asked for a doll that looked just like her that year. We went with My Twinn over AG mainly because our daughter has curly hair and AG didn't have anything that resembled her hair and their girl clothes start at size 6, I think, where My Twinn starts at size 4. The only drawback I found to the My Twinn is that she is bigger than the AG, so the generic clothes and accessories you find everywhere don't fit.

My daughter's doll went EVERYWHERE with her for about 2 years. She is 6 now and still sleeps with her doll (although she doesn't go quite as many places as she used to.) This Christmas, she has asked Santa to take Dolly back to the North Pole to get all fixed up (she gave Dolly a makeup job last year that I couldn't quite clean up and her hair is looking a little haggard...My Twinn offers a cleaning package that will fix the makeup issues and give the doll a new wig). We've had some tears today with the idea of not having Dolly for a couple of months, but even though we told her this was her choice and Dolly didn't have to go, in the end, she decided it was what she really wanted.

Anyway, a lot of people told us she was too young, and she probably was (obviously, we had some care issues!), but she has loved this doll more than anything!! How old is your daughter? My sister and I had AG dolls growing up, but we were older...I think their books and things are wonderful for encouraging girls to read and learn about history. If you think your daughter is responsible enough for this kind of doll (they aren't cheap!), I would definitely consider it!

Mom of two little spitfires - 8yo daughter and 4yo son, both with eyes to melt your heart and personalities overflowing with spirit!
S.tuck
Sophomore Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »

My daughter is 8 and has an American Girl doll that was passed down to her by my sister (her aunt).  She loves it!  I think it depends on the maturity of the girl.  These dolls are a significant investment but are so special:)

Sarah Tucker - Your Sunday Momaha blogger!

Wife to Zack since Dec 2006.
Momma to Skyler-8, Abigail-8, Trendon-7, Olivia-6, and Mia-2
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »

Update: My daughter is turning 4 and I caved. Went to AG store this weekend in Twin Cities, intending to buy her Kit for Christmas. She didn't ask for it, but was clearly interested in it. So I bent down and said "Would you like Kit NOW for your b-day?" I'm a total sucker.

So far, so good. She likes it and I hope we will have it for many years.
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »

Aw, I love that you gave it to her now. Isn't it fun how much excitement WE get out of giving gifts like this to our kids?

Very sweet.

And if you think at 4 years old, she's mature enough to get one of these dolls, then I'm sure she is.

How much are these things anyway?

Veronica Daehn is mom to Rye, 6, and Paige, 2. She is the editor of momaha.com.
javamommy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »

I can't wait until I have a girl of my own so I can buy her one! I have bought accessories and outfits for my younger sister's before.

They are pretty expensive.... around 100 dollars. And that doesn't include the extra outfits, beds, and accessories. I still think they are worth it though especially if your little girl plays with it for years and maybe even hands it down to their daughter. Plus, they have a pretty great re-sale value.

mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

Right - they are $100.

I bought the doll, the accessories kit (hat, purse, etc.), plus a $7 brush. It came to $136.

I cringe at the thought of spending so much and, of course, feel guilty.

But some co-workers have said their daughters have played with them through middle school..So when you look at the price of that vs. somethign a kid might play with only over two years, they're not that expensive.

Plus, the quality is good. If I could have silky hair like the Kit doll, I would be set for life:)
word2yourmother
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

Question: Does it matter if the American Girl doll is one of the characters like Kit or if it's one of the dolls you can custom design? Don't want to shell out that much dough if a non-character doll will be a dud later on. I thought the point was to match up your daughter with a doll...
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »

Hmm, I don't know. I think as a girl I always sort of wanted the doll named Samantha NOT one that looked like me. Isn't that another brand of doll, the one you get to look like you? I'm really pretty clueless on this yet, though. Anyone else know?

Veronica Daehn is mom to Rye, 6, and Paige, 2. She is the editor of momaha.com.
ourhennhouse

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »

It's whatever your preference is....my daughter looks like Kit, but also appreciates the story line behind her doll.  She also has Molly.

As a side note, this event is coming up this spring:  http://www.juniorleagueomaha.org/Fundraisers/American_Girl/

Fun event for girls and their dolls.
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the event! I had seen this before but it was too late to attend.
MomPoppins

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »

The My Twinn dolls are meant to look like your daughter. We have a My Twinn...she has been my daughter's constant companion for 4 years now. Note that they are larger...23" compared to AG's 18". I didn't realize that when we bought the My Twinn, so it's harder to find clothes for them. However, since my daughter has curly hair, there really wasn't an American Girl option that was a good match and she had specifically asked for a doll that looked just like her.

Mom of two little spitfires - 8yo daughter and 4yo son, both with eyes to melt your heart and personalities overflowing with spirit!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: