Username  
Password
Not registered? Register here.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knee replacement and foot pain?  (Read 7032 times)
znewsguy

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »

I'm curious if any knee replacement patients out there have had difficulties with foot pain and swelling after the fact? I had my left knee done a year ago last spring and immediately began to struggle with my feet. Prior to the replacement surgery, I never had any issues. Thoughts? Any dealt with the same troubles?
helen65

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »

I don't know if I can be of help to you; I had a right partial knee replacement almost three years ago.  At that time, I first noticed my right foot turning outward.  It has gotten worse, and now with pain when I walk without shoes.  I asked my foot doctor about it.  He told me that because I have flat feet and fallen arches, that problem will only get worse.  I don't think it has anything to do with my knee replacement.  I was a bad girl and did not go to my Orthopedic Surgeon when I was supposed to at one year follow-up.  It was bad timing on my part and probably will have to because my left knee is bone on bone.  I was not too happy when I had the first knee replacement done, and not in a hurry to get the left one done.  I let the OS talk me into having a partial, but now wished I had the total done.  I still experience some pain in my right knee when I use it too much.  Both of my legs and feet swell up in the evening, but go down in the morning.  I would love to hear if others have experienced any of my problems.  I'm new on here, too, so hope I'm following the rules.
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

Goal: Making every day better than the one before

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Helen. Glad you are here. Anyone else having issues after knee replacement?
znewsguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »

Thanks for replying, Helen. I had a total replacement, not the partial you did. And fortunately I did make my one-year, follow-up appointment. That's where my confusion rests; my orthopedic said he couldn't find anything abnormal about my feet or any other indicators as to why I was having pain. My gate is normal, which seems to differ from your situation.

That said, prior to the knee replacement surgery I too was bone-on-bone. So I have been through some of the pain you're experiencing now. And let me tell you what a relief it was to finally be past all of that. I wish I had done it years ago.

I also, for one of the first times ever, pushed incredibly hard through rehabilitation, knowing I had one shot to get the joint and leg strength back where I needed it. So far it's working well. Good luck to you. And thanks for replying!
drgartnerDC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »

Helen:

Often when the arches in our feet flatten, it will put additional stress on the ligaments and muscles in our feet and legs.  When that happens, it can change the way we step down on the foot when walking, affecting how the knees function at the same time.  After time, it can cause a real problem in the feet, legs, knees AND low back!  

A good solution is to have a quality insert (orthotic) molded to fit your feet.  By wearing the orthotics, you are taking pressure off of your ligaments and muscles because the orthotic is helping form your arches and allowing you to walk with a more normal gait.  This is especially important in people who have had full and partial knee replacements because any "tweak" to the way they walk can affect the replacement!

Hope this has helped! Good luck and keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:59:37 PM by drgartnerDC » Logged
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

Goal: Making every day better than the one before

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing this information. Interesting that an orthotic might help.
znewsguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »

Thanks, Dr. Gartner. Appreciate the advice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: