Username  
Password
Not registered? Register here.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quinoa recipes?  (Read 5235 times)
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

My husband, ever the fan of bulk shopping, bought a huge bag of quinoa at Costco for us to try (because it's a whole grain, nutritious, etc). Might have been better to start with a smaller portion, as I can't seem to find a recipe that my kids will eat! My older son makes a face calls the grain "spider eggs". If I can find some dishes that win the kids over, maybe we can use up that bag! I'm primarily interested in simpler, side-dish recipes, as I don't want to make or break an entire meal on the success of the dish. Thanks!

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
JillKoegel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »

Oh, I love quinoa!  And Costco is awesome for purchasing it in bulk!  A great kid-friendly recipe:
Cook quinoa as directed with 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water, boiling for 15-20 minutes.  Water should be mostly absorbed.  Do not drain.  Add a packet of powdered cheese (I like Annie's organic mac n cheese, take the packet out of the box and use the noodles for something else!).  Stir up and enjoy!  Awesome as a side dish!
Jill Koegel, RD, LMNT, CSSD
Certified Nutrition of Omaha, LLC
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »

I've seen quinoa in recipes but must admit that it's one of those things where I'm not really sure what it is or the value of eating it, so I stay away.

Someone, please enlighten me....Smiley
Ananda S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »

Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) is high in protein so it is popular with the vegetarians.  It is a similar texture to rice so it's often used as a healthy alternative to rice.  I have it with stir fry.

Pam_i_am, my favorite combo is quinoa and goat cheese.  For some reason, it works really well together.  Here is a recipe for my favorite side dish.  (I've never actually included pine nuts, but I'm sure it would be good.)

1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 Tbs olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, cut in chunks
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup goat's cheese, cut in small (1 cm) cubes
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
1 large spring onion, thinly sliced

Put the olive oil in the bottom of a medium saucepan and heat it. Rinse the quinoa once in a strainer under running water. Drain it well and then add it to the sauce pan. Stir for a few minutes until coated and heated through. Then pour in two cups of water and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a medium flame and allow it to cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Once the grains have swollen and become slightly transluscent, turn of the flame and cover. Leave for about five minutes and then fluff the grains with a fork. Once the quinoa has cooled, toss it with the rest of the ingredients. Before serving, taste to see if it needs a bit more olive oil, lemon juice or salt (or some combination thereof) to round out the flavors.
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

Goal: Making every day better than the one before

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

Thanks, Ananda. Not only does this sound like a great and healthy recipe, but now I also know how to pronounce quinoa!
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »

I will try the goat cheese recipe and report back. Smiley
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »

Thanks, Ananda! I have a friend who has goats and provides us with goat cheese every so often, so I'll be sure to try this. I haven't tried the other recipe simply because my kids don't eat boxed mac and cheese very well (even the Annie's kind!) so I hadn't gotten a box lately to use the cheese packet Smiley.

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »

where do i find quinoa in the grocery store? i don't want to be hunting around for it and I don't want to buy in bulk at costco until i'm sure i really will use it!
Katy
Freshman Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »

You can buy quinoa at Hy-vee in smaller packages in their health food aisles, which are usually around the perimeter of the store. At the 27th and Superior location in Lincoln, the health section is next to the pharmacy. The package still seems somewhat big if you're new to the product, but at least it's not a bulk size!
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

thanks, katy Smiley
Ananda S

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »

I believe you can get it in the bulk section of Whole Foods and it is cheaper that way.

I have never considered it for breakfast, but I just came across a recipe at enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com for Toasted Quinoa Porridge.

Toasted Quinoa Porridge

This is such a great power breakfast. Quinoa is a superfood, high in protein, so you stay happily satisfied for hours. Best of all, it is a quick and easy bowl-full of cozy on a cold winter's day.

Makes 2 servings
Total Time: 30 minutes

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1-1/4 cups regular or non-dairy milk, divided
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
dried or fresh fruit
drizzle of agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup

1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa. Cook and stir 3 minutes until toasted and fragrant.
2. Stir in the 1 cup milk, water, cinnamon, and sea salt.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
4. Cover and cook about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally heat until the porridge is thick and grains are tender, about 25 minutes. (Add a small amount of water if needed if the liquid has dried up before it finishes cooking).
5. Serve, drizzled with some of the remaining 1/4 cup milk, and fresh or dried fruit, and 1 tsp agave nectar per serving.
mom2lulu
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »

More recipes, although the first one has way too many ingredients.

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/article/20110215/LIVEWELL02/702159975/-1
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »

Finally found (or, rather, created) a quinoa recipe that has my son asking for seconds! This dish tastes a lot like pepper steak except w/o the steak.
Here's how I fixed it (i don't have a specific recipe because I made it up as I went along):

Follow the quinoa packaging for how to prepare, except subtract a tablespoon of water and add in a tablespoon of Braggs Liquid Aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce); add in dried minced onion and/or garlic (i did that for convenience, fresh onion/garlic should be fine, too). As soon as the quinoa is cooked, add in chopped tomato and chopped pepper, cover the pot and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the heat to warm up the peppers and tomatoes. And that's it! 

BTW: We finally did finish that big Costco bag of quinoa! Smiley Now I just buy smaller boxes when I'm at Trader Joes.

Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

Goal: Making every day better than the one before

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »

Wow, thanks for sharing, Pam. Must be good if your little guy is wanting seconds. Anyone else coming up with interesting ways to serve quinoa?
Michele

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:41:29 AM »

We eat Quinoa all the time.  In my freezer right now I have plain, red, black and multicolored. 

One of the easiest recipes we make is tacos.  The quinoa replaces the meat.  Cook the quinoa with a can of diced tomatoes and a packet of taco seasoning, adding water as necessary.  Wrap in a tortilla with anything else you would put on a taco and enjoy!  My husband won't even eat meat tacos anymore.

Recently I cooked black quinoa with vegetable broth, added dried cranberries and sweet corn kernels (frozen this summer), then scooped it into a cooked butternut squash half and sprinkled it all with walnuts.  LOVED it!

I am vegan, so quinoa is a staple of my diet.  My husband still eats meat, but will eat anything I cook with no complaints. 

There are many websites with quinoa recipes, just search "quinoa recipes" and cook away!

Empty nester . . . that went fast!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: