Username  
Password
Not registered? Register here.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating Out Healthy and Restaurant Nutrition Information  (Read 16545 times)
Pam

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »

My husband and I are on a diet (The F.A.S.T. Diet started by a local family five years ago) in which we record calories and nutrition information (Fat grams, Carbs, Fiber, & Protein) on a daily basis.  It is really working for us, so far!  At the same time, we really enjoy eating out at restaurants a couple of times a week.  We are thankful that some restaurants have nutrition information for us to find on-line, as well as healthy menu options.  These include:  Applebee's, Olive Garden, Taco Bell, Panera's, Outback, Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays, and Runza.  I also called ahead to Spaghetti Works and they had some healthy menu choices and calories and fat grams on a menu that they provided upon request. 
Anyway, we thought it might be a good idea to find out if any other restaurants provide this information that we don't know about.  We have some favorite local places which we have not been able to locate nutrition information.  Plus, maybe if we start requesting the info, more restaurants will find a way to provide it for us. 
So, I'll start the list and hopefully you can add to it.
APPLEBEE'S, OLIVE GARDEN, TACO BELL, PANERA'S, OUTBACK, CHILI'S, RUBY TUESDAYS, RUNZA, AND SPAGHETTI WORKS.
Pam  :-)
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

Goal: Making every day better than the one before

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »

Thanks, Pam! Let's all get going on this list of healthy restaurants. This is such a great idea. The first one that comes to mind for me is Blue Planet Natural Grill, a locally owned health-conscious restaurant at 63rd and Center. There is nutritional info on menu items on the web site, www.blueplanetnaturalgrill.com. Look under the menu tab. I haven't asked for it in the restaurant but I would be surprised if it's not available. They bake instead of fry. All the bread is whole grain.
Noodles & Co., though not locally owned, also has nutrition info online, along with a list of dishes under 400 calories. Not sure if it's available in the restaurants. www.noodles.com
Who else has suggestions? Let's get a statewide list going!
BrycesMomma

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »

Almost all the restaurants have nutritional value on their website.  Subway is another place with great choices!

Angela, full time working Momma of Bryce (5)
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »

True, the major chains do. It's harder to find among smaller chains and locally owned places. More suggestions?
BrycesMomma

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »

Jason's Deli  http://www.jasonsdeli.com/nutrition

Jimmy John's http://www.jimmyjohns.com/menu/nutrition.aspx - they also have unwich with is without the bread

Angela, full time working Momma of Bryce (5)
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »

Nice!
JenHomann

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »

We've been using the My Fitness Pal app on our phones to track calories, sodium, protein, carb, etc. intake and exercise (down 15 pounds with it since the 1st of the year!). It's a free app with the added bonus of a HUGE user-generated database of nutrition information - everything from restaurants to homemade.

I know that isn't a specific healthy restaurant, but it's an amazing resource when you're on the go and don't have time to go out to the company website to plan the meal ahead of time. It's saved us from making bad food choices on several occasions - and when you DO decide to splurge on those extra calories, it's right there to remind you that you need to hold back the rest of the day ... or get yourself to the gym!
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »

Sounds great, Jen. Is that just for Iphones? I'd like to find one for Blackberry.
JenHomann

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

Hmmm... I know it's on iphone and android, but I'm not sure about blackberry. I remember searching for it when I still had my blackberry a few months ago and I couldn't find it. But they might have added it since then.

If they haven't, though, you can access it online. Their web-based app is pretty much the same thing.
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »

You're giving me iPhone envy! I'll look for a Blackberry version, though. livewellnebraska.com has a daily diet and fitness tracker, so I use that. But I like the idea of a mobile version that allows you to look up restaurant meal nutritional info. Maybe we'll find one to offer on LWN someday!
jlua222

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »

I have to put in a plug for my favorite local salad place - Green Belly - 120th and Center. It's a great salad stop full of yummy organic choices.  They have other options - paninis and pizzas - but my daughter and I love the salads.
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, jlua. I've been wanting to try Green Belly.
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:15:58 AM »

Looks like movie theaters won't be required to post nutritional information about their concessions. What do you think of this? A large popcorn and drink can be as many calories as one should have in a day!
http://www.livewellnebraska.com/article/20110402/LIVEWELL02/704029874/1161#theaters-lobby-out-of-new-rule-on-calories
Stacie
Editor, LiveWellNebraska

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »

Here's an example of why nutritional information should be prominently displayed in fast-food restaurants! These calorie counts are just mind-boggling.

This is from Live Well the magazine, which was inserted in your World-Herald today:

To determine his list of the “Worst Fast-Food Meals in America,” David Zinczenko, author of the bestselling “Eat This, Not That!” book series, evaluated calorie counts, fat, saturated fat, sodium and added sugar.
1. Quizno’s Tuna Melt with Cheetos meal, (1,900 calories, 145 g fat, the equivalent of nearly eight McDonald’s hamburgers)
2. Domino’s Chicken Carbonara Breadbowl Pasta (1,480 calories)
3. McDonald’s Big Breakfast with large biscuit, hotcakes, margarine and syrup (1,370 calories, 46 g sugar)
4. KFC Half Spicy Crispy Chicken Meal with macaroni and cheese, potato wedges and biscuit (1,660 calories, 5,050 mg sodium)
5. Burger King Large Triple Whopper With Cheese Value Meal with fries (1,790 calories)
6. Wendy’s Triple Baconator Combo Meal with small fries and small coke (1,850 calories)
7. Dairy Queen Chicken Strip Basket (six-piece with Country Gravy) (1,640 calories)
8. Hardee’s Loaded Biscuit ’N’ Gravy with large hash rounds (1,530 calories)
mk49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »

Found out this weekend that Famous Dave's has nutritional info available in the restaurants.  (We were at the Bellevue location.)   The server brought it to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: