Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bean bag chair for 9-year-old  (Read 2420 times)
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a bean bag chair for my son for his 9th birthday. He's really getting into reading and I think he would like to have something like that for being by himself and reading. I had a bean bag when I was a kid and I LOVED it! I'd like to hear what families who have them think. Is it age appropriate? Any recommendations on where to get a fairly  well-made one?

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
Lisa Andrews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »

MY kids had 2 from Target that didn't last long (got flat), but I know the ones from Lands End are good, but expensive. Lands End will put his name on it...great gift!  You could also get one of those papasan chairs from Target...kids seem to like those too..just not as comfy as bean bags.

Lisa Andrews
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »

Great idea, Pam!

If it were me, I'd be OK with paying a little more for a quality chair since it's his birthday gift. Love Sacs are AWESOME, though, yeah, I could never shell out that kind of money.

ebay is a great idea.

Veronica Daehn is mom to Rye, 6, and Paige, 2. She is the editor of momaha.com.
pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »

Like most things in my world, I waited too long to consider ordering online and getting it here on time. His birthday is on Thursday!  Tongue So, I picked up a bean bag at Garden Ridge, fully expecting that it won't last because the quality probably isn't that great. But if he likes it and uses it, I'll "upgrade" it for him! Costco had one that looked like a good-quality item (that's what gave me the idea for the gift, but my son was with me at the time), but they ran out of stock before I could get back. I'm hoping they may restock it sometime in the future.

Work full time outside of home; married to Dave (since '99); two sons, Dillon (born in '02) and Sean (born in '06).
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

Oh, dear. This is sometimes my world, too, Pam.

I like your idea of upgrading if he likes this cheaper version. Let us know!

meanmom
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »

Costco might have restocked, I just saw one there on Saturday.  The one I saw was like a brown suede - looked like it would hold up, but I don't remember the price.
Veronica

Hello, Omaha moms!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »

Ooh, brown suede. Nice!

pam_i_am
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »

Yep, I noticed them last night, when I was in that part of town anyway for an appt. and I picked up one up. I was very excited to see they still had them! But last week I didn't want to drive clear across town to Costco for a wasted trip, so I had called first and was told by "customer service" (note that i put that in quotes, hah!) that they were out. So glad I happened to look that part of the store last night! I don't think they restocked, I just think they didn't want to bother to look on the floor for me. my opinion.

The other bean bag is getting returned -- covertly -- to the other store (I hope my son doesn't see it first -- it has a tie-dye covering and I'm sure that would be much fun to a 9-year-old than brown suede. but what he doesn't know won't hurt him!)

BTW, the bag is $80, but like meanmom, I think it will withstand abuse much better.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: