Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales tax on soda and other soft drinks  (Read 693 times)
julie@flash
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »

State Sen. Mike Avery is proposing to end the sales tax exemption for soft drinks. He'd earmark the money for efforts to promote healthy lifestyles in schools and childcare centers. What do you think of the plan? Read the story here:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120104/NEWS01/120109876#bill-would-tax-pop-energy-drinks
ReillysMom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »

Whatever, tax the soda and use the revenue to funnel back into schools.  But don't expect it to change behavior.  I still see smokers buying their cigarettes at $6 a pack--obviously taxing them at an outrageous rate hasn't stopped them from smoking.  Removing toys from Happy Meals doesn't stop parents from going to McDonalds on busy nights.

I understand taxing smoking -- it not only has a health impact on the smoker, it harms those in the presence of smokers.  But if I drink soda, I'm only hurting myself.  So what else will the law makers decide to tax while trying to save me from myself?

The real issue here is--where does it stop?  Tax soda... then candy... and processed foods, oh and why not gaming consoles, and TVs... they all lead to obesity as well.  And while they're at it, why not reward the active people by remove taxes from bikes, treadmills, sports equipment, etc...?

Of course my example is inflammatory, but the reality is should government be that involved in "encouraging" me how to live?

Julie -- wife to Matthew (16 years), mom to Reilly (5) and Ryan (2).
jsmom
Sophomore Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »

My son isn't in school yet, but my understanding is that they are cutting out a lot of the activity time. Perhaps we need to look at that as well for the healthy lifestyle...instead of just taxing us. They continue to impress taxes on things that people are already displaying an addiction to. There are people who are budgeting their money so that they can afford the cigarettes and sometimes aren't getting the other things they really need.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: